Why do I walk everyday.
Why do I walk every day? Good question and this is my answer. Why do I faithfully take my 15,000 steps every day and walk for 1 hour every day? Because I value self-care. How else can I be full of energy every day in life, stay slim and be healthy? Keynote speeches, company trainings on self-care and well-being at work, writing books (number 3 is coming up!), coaching clients, being active on social media, developing a new line under my lifestyle brand Delphin & Emerence, taking care of my little daughter, being there for friends and family,… I work hard but I also take care of myself by going for that hour walk every day, among other things. I see it as the perfect TAKE YOU TIME™ moment, a concept that I developed for myself and my clients with 7 principles around self-care to be healthy and happy in life.
To get the most out of life, I really need to take care of myself every day. I ran into my own limits a few times in my life with all the consequences. Complete exhaustion, reduced immunity, tired, lifeless, hair loss, weight gain or loss and hormonal fluctuations that made me feel even worse about myself. I have had to learn to take self-care ahead of everything else, no matter how busy. And even more: the busier the more I have to take care of myself. TAKE YOU TIME™ FIRST is my mantra, anyone who read any of my books will know that by now.
This is an example of what my (busy) day looks like:
- I usually get up somewhere between 5 and 6, a bit depending on what time I went to sleep or what time I have to work that day (keynotes are usually in the evening so then I make sure I’m sufficiently rested)
- I drink a large glass of water and go to the toilet
- then I take my dog for a walk in the Baron Casier park in Waregem or in one of the green neighborhoods around my home, which usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes. That way I have had touch base with nature and I am a completely different person than when I just sit down to drink coffee.
- My lunch break is invariably a brisk walk. My dog Beyo comes along when I work at home. I usually schedule half an hour there. On days where I have less opportunity to exercise in the afternoon or evening I take a longer walk.
- Between 4 and 5 I am usually tired working at my computer and go for a short walk and immediately do an errand or go to the post office. Then I am outside for about 15 minutes to recharge my battery.
- Before dinner I let the dog out for a brisk walk so that my hour a day is up. Usually I end up with more than an hour because I love to listen to podcasts, study while walking with online courses or sing along to my favorite songs. Time flies so fast then and my studious nature sometimes makes me walk that extra block because it’s just so interesting in that course or podcast.
This is just a sample of a day. Usually after my morning meditation and workout, I look at my schedule and see where my walking moments might be.
If I were to sit at my desk all day without those walking breaks I know I would be dog-tired by the evening and have an awful lot of back pain. (Yep, hernia sufferer) Then I’m stiff with stress and I’m not exactly the nicest mom to my 16-year-old daughter. My body has become so accustomed to those moments of exercise that it demands movement itself. Without my moments of walking I would never have so much energy. And it also helps me maintain my weight, even at 45, an age where many struggle to maintain a healthy weight. What more could you want? More energy and a healthy, lean body! That’s what everyone wants, right? Believe me, this lifestyle is really not difficult. Once you’re on it, you can’t live without it. My customers and followers prove this every day. Every day I read their sweet messages and emails with their results. That’s why I do this, every day…. And also my walk 😉
You are worth it! Will you take that first step with me today?
Follow me on social media for regular tips around this topic. That’s how I’m that kick in the butt…. In need of more support? Then check out my online programs, read one of my books and see how you can work with me in a coaching program for yourself, your employees or an inspiring keynote on the theme of self care and health and my method of TAKE YOU TIME
My name is Lies Helsloot and I call myself the first TAKE YOU TIME-Expert. I am the author of soon to be 3 (!) health books (“Walk Yourself Slim & Happy. How More Steps Change Your Life” (English translation coming soon Spring 2022!) and “The Complete Book on Hair”) and “Move Yourself Slim & Happy” ( june 2022)) I blog here at takeyoutime.com and coach individual clients, groups and companies around the world to a happy, healthy life and more work-life balance with my concept of TAKE YOU TIME.
For more motivation and free training and challenges, be sure to sign up for the newsletter on this site and follow me on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube.0